Thin is in9mm wiLL DabbS, mD • PhotoS: Sarah DabbS Amere1/8"maynotseem likemuchbutitmakes anenormousdifference. Mostfull-sizedGLOCKs haveaslidewidthof1". TheslightlyslimmerG43 designmakesthegunfeel andpackmuchtidier. TheGLOCKG43islegitimatelytiny whilestilllaunchingbulletsadequatefor unpleasantsocialencounters.Despite itsdiminutivesize,theG43is acomfortableshooter. ThenewGLOCKG43 packs9mmfirepowerintoa packagemoretypically associatedwiththe.380ACP. Insomecases,standard.380 pocketgunsareactuallylarger thanthisAustriandesign. G43 The slide has the expected utilitarian vertical grooves at the back and the guide rod is polymer. The sights are robust plastic with white accents and the gun comes with two 6-round magazines, one of which sports a splendid pinky groove built into its extended WWW.AMERICANHANDGUNNER.COM • NOVEMBER/DECEMBER2015 GLOCK t seems most everybody, at least down here in the Deep South where I live, is packing for personal protection these days. Individual tastes in carry guns are as variegated as personal proclivities in music, food and politicians. As a result, gun companies have tackled the thorny problem of compact size versus downrange horsepower and divined some of the most remarkable concealable guns ever. The new GLOCK G43 breaks serious new ground for the company which really introduced the planet to the concept of plastic guns in the first place. i 50 The Skinny Externally, the gun looks like every other GLOCK pistol in the world. There’s the same charcoal color, the blocky robo-slide, and the blade safety in the trigger complementing the standard bevy of safe-action internal safety features we have come to expect. The beavertail design allows for the classic GLOCK high grip for better recoil management. The grip has scads of wee dots called cubids arrayed about its circumference to make the gun a bit easier to grasp, and dispenses with the concept of interchangeable backstraps. The magazine release is in the expected spot and reversible for the 15 percent of the population cursed with left-handedness. The slide release is unilateral and ideally placed for the remaining 85 percent of the world’s more fortunate citizens.